This is one of few opportunities to experience an authentic dog sled race and ride behind a team of dogs in the Lower 48
Come join us and check this off your bucket list!
January 4-7, 2019
The Gunflint Trail is a land blessed with stunning beauty. We have glacially sculpted cliffs, boreal forests, and an immense network of lakes and streams. We are blessed with cold weather and snow here. The Gunflint Mail Run Sled Dog Race celebrates our heritage of Voyageur trappers and hearty pioneers, including Justine Kerfoot, who founded Gunflint Lodge & Outfitters 90 years ago and used her own sled dog team to navigate the Northern winters here.
The Gunflint Mail Run Sled Dog Race is a continuous race consisting of two legs of equal distance, separated by a mandatory layover. There are two classes in the race: a 12-dog,110-mile race and an 8-dog, 70-mile race. Come visit us in Cook County, Minnesota on January 6th and 7th, 2018 to experience this spectacular race. For more information, please see the Gunflint Mail Run webpage.
This three day package will give you the opportunity to watch the race, as well as to meet our onsite musher and team of sled dogs and take them out for a run. Arrive on Thursday to meet Christina and the team of dogs. Christina will demo dog mushing and answer your questions, and may even have time to give you a quick ride with the team. Friday Christina will offer sled rides on the Lonely Lake Basin Trail. The ride is included with your stay, but be sure to book early to reserve your time.
On Saturday, you may choose to eat meals in our Lodge, or we will pack you a breakfast to go and a bag lunch to take with you to the race if you want to get an early start. When you return from watching the race, food and drink specials will be offered in Justine’s all afternoon. Enjoy a hot meal in front of the fire place, then return to your cabin to relax in front of a fire or in your in-room sauna or whirlpool.
Sunday morning we will feed you breakfast in the Lodge or you may take a pack breakfast with you to watch the end of the race and the Awards Ceremony.
The Gunflint Mail Run package includes:
- Three nights accommodations in a lakeside fireplace cabin
- All meals from Thursday dinner through Sunday breakfast
- Meet the Dogs event Thursday afternoon with musher Christina DeJoseph
- One four mile dogsled ride on the Lonely Lake Basin Trail
- Cross Country skis, snowshoe, and Nordic kick sled rental included
- Guided Naturalist activities
Gunflint Mail Run package pricing:
- $149 per person per night in a Classic Cabin
- $169 per person per night in a Romantic Cabin or Gunflint Lake Home
- $119 per person for an additional night, all meals included
- 3 night stay required
- Prices based on double occupancy; base cabin occupancies apply
Taxes, service charge, and trail pass (optional) additional