This is one of few opportunities to experience an authentic dog sled race and ride behind a team of dogs in the Lower 48
Come join Adam and check this off your bucket list!
January 4-7, 2018
The Gunflint Trail is a land blessed with stunning beauty. We have glacially sculpted cliffs, boreal forests, and an immense network of lakes and streams. We are blessed with cold weather and snow here. The Gunflint Mail Run Sled Dog Race celebrates our heritage of Voyageur trappers and hearty pioneers, including Justine Kerfoot, who founded Gunflint Lodge & Outfitters 90 years ago and used her own sled dog team to navigate the Northern winters here.
The Gunflint Mail Run Sled Dog Race is a continuous race consisting of two legs of equal distance, separated by a mandatory layover. There are two classes in the race: a 12-dog,110-mile race and an 8-dog, 70-mile race. Come visit us in Cook County, Minnesota on January 6th and 7th, 2018 to experience this spectacular race. For more information, please see the Gunflint Mail Run webpage.
This three day package will give you the opportunity to watch the race, as well as to meet our onsite musher and Guflint Mail Run competitor Adam Treeful, and his team of sled dogs and take them out for a run. Arrive on Thursday to meet Adam and his team of dogs. Adam will be demoing dog mushing, answer your questions, and may even have time to give you a quick ride with his team. And this year there are new puppies as well! Friday Adam will offer sled rides on the Lonely Lake Basin Trail.
On Saturday, you may choose to eat meals in our Lodge, or we will pack you a breakfast to go and a bag lunch to take with you to the race if you want to get an early start. When you return from watching the race, you will enjoy a hot meal in front of the fire place of our dining room and can return to your cabin to relax in front of a fire or in your in-room sauna or whirlpool.
Sunday morning we will feed you breakfast in the Lodge or you may take a pack breakfast with you to watch the end of the race and the Awards Ceremony.
The Gunflint Mail Run package includes:
- Three nights accommodations in a lakeside fireplace cabin
- All meals from Thursday dinner through Sunday breakfast
- Meet the Musher event Thursday afternoon with Adam Treeful
- One four mile dogsled ride on the Lonely Lake Basin Trail
- Cross Country skis, snowshoe, and Nordic kicksled rental included
- Guided Naturalist activities
Gunflint Mail Run package pricing:
- $439 per person in a Classic Cabin; $119 per person each additional night
- $489 per person in a Romantic Cabin or Gunflint Lake Home; $139 per person each additional night
- Prices based on double occupancy; base cabin occupancies apply
Taxes, service charge, and trail pass (optional) additional